What information do we collect?
We receive and store any information you knowingly provide to us. For example, through the registration process and/or through your account settings, we collect personal information such as your name and email address.
Build also tracks the following:
- The actual contents of the files uploaded to your Build service ("Customer Data").
- Metadata about your Customer Data that is distinct from the actual content itself ("Customer Metadata"). Customer Metadata includes file and folder names, creation and modification dates, permissions, and size information, users and their associated data (passwords, access restrictions, etc.).
- Metadata about your account, not tied to any specific file ("Account Metadata"). Account Metadata includes general account settings, users and their associated data (passwords, access restrictions, etc.)
- Usage information customarily logged by Mailer server software, including the date and time of your visit, the originating IP address, and access to files. We also get usage data from third parties such as Google Analytics, who may place tracking pixels in our website. Collectively, we call this "Usage Data".
- Email addresses of users provided by Heroku ("Registration, Billing, and Administration Data").
- Information from users who communicate with us via e-mail or our website for example to ask for product support ("Correspondence Data").
In addition, whenever you interact with Our website or Service, your IP address, browser and device information, "Cookies" and pages requested are automatically logged. “Cookies” are identifiers we transfer to your browser or device that allow us to recognize your browser or device and tell us how and when pages and features in our Services are visited and by how many people. You may be able to change the preferences on your browser or device to prevent or limit your device’s acceptance of cookies, but this may prevent you from taking advantage of some of our features.
How is information being used?
- "Customer Data" is stored securely and may only be accessed by users who have been given the appropriate permissions to that Customer Data by someone with administrative permissions on the account. We will not access this data for any other purpose, except as provided below.
- "Customer Metadata" and "Account Metadata" are used by our software systems to provide the Service and may be displayed, subject to our permissions controls, to users on the account.
- "Usage Data" and "Correspondence Data" are used to help us understand how the service and our websites are being used and to help us improve our websites and the service.
Our Access To Your Data
- However, as is reasonably necessary to facilitate provision of the Service, employees and contractors of Build io, Inc may have access to your Customer Metadata, Account Metadata, Usage Data, Registration, Billing, and Administration Data, and Correspondence Data, and may use that to communicate with you or improve the service. For example, we may use the total amount of data you’ve stored to recommend you switch to a higher or lower plan tier.
Is your personal Information secure?
Your account is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You must prevent unauthorized access to your account and personal information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer or device and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
We endeavour to protect the privacy of your account and other personal information we hold in our records, but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
Can I opt out of communications?
You may opt in or out of communications related to our offers and information about our new services at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
European Union Privacy Notice
- Build io, Inc is committed to compliance with the EU General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR).
- If you are a resident of the European Union or the United Kingdom, then you have additional privacy rights which are guaranteed by the GDPR and other EU privacy legislation. The responsibility for effecting those rights varies depending on your relationship to Build io, Inc:
- The responsibility for effecting those rights varies depending on your relationship to Build io, Inc:
- If you are a Build io, Inc customer, then Build io, Inc is a “data controller” for information about your account, such as your address, billing information, and other account metadata. For the data stored in your account, Build io, Inc is a “data processor”, acting at your direction in processing the data.
- If you are not a Build io, Inc customer, but you believe that someone else has stored or processed your personal information using Build io, Inc, then Build io, Inc would be a “data processor” working for that third party. The party that uploaded your information to Build io, Inc would be the “data controller” for that data. Build io, Inc may also act as a data processor to send notifications, including email, to third parties at the direction of its customers, such as when a customer is sharing files with a third party. In this case it is the responsibility of the data controller (Build io, Inc’s customer, not Build io, Inc) to obtain consent for this communication.
- If you have questions or concerns about personal information in data for which Build io, Inc is a data processor (i.e., most data that is uploaded by a user to Build io, Inc), we encourage you to communicate with the data controller for the data. If you make EU/GDPR rights requests to Build io, Inc regarding data where Build io, Inc is the data processor, we will refer any such request to the relevant data controller, who is the party primarily responsible for implementation of those rights.
- For information for which Build io, Inc is a data controller (e.g., address, billing information, and other account metadata), if you are an EU resident then you have the following rights with respect to that data:
- You have a right to know what data is being processed, why it is being processed, and how long it will be retained, as described above in “What information do we collect?”, and “How is information being used?”;
- You have a right to ask us to correct or delete data that you think is incorrect;
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority (for more information, see the next section on US-EU Data Privacy Shield Framework);
- You have a right to request a copy of the data, although Build io, Inc may charge you a reasonable fee for it;
- You have a right to request that we delete this data, although our obligation to completely delete the data may be limited by legal requirements. For example, we will maintain a record that we deleted the data, including a record of your contact information, so that we can demonstrate that it was done at a later date;
- You have a right to request a copy of the data, although in many cases we will refer you to your account settings page, which holds the majority of this type of data.
- Build io, Inc acknowledges that individuals have the right to access the personal information/data that we maintain about them, in our function as a data controller. An EU individual who seeks access, or who seeks to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data, should direct his query to their Client Services manager or email email@example.com. Build io, Inc will respond within a reasonable timeframe, and in no event greater than thirty days. Please be aware that we may refer you to the data controller, for data where Build io, Inc is merely the processor.
- Build io, Inc’ servers are primarily located in the United States, although Build io, Inc may provide options to use servers in other locations. Our Terms of Service also include a Data Processing Addendum which also provides additional legal structure for this transfer of information to the United States or other jurisdictions.
- Build io, Inc also uses technical support staff located in non-EU countries outside the United States. Build io, Inc has entered into confidentiality agreements with all such personnel. Your information is only transferred to such countries when our personnel there would access it in response to a technical support request from the data controller (i.e., an Build account owner). Such transfers are governed by the standard contractual clauses, which you agree to as part of the terms of service, and which we have entered into with our support staff to ensure adequate safeguards for such transfers.
- Build io, Inc has applied reasonable technological measures in order to ensure the security of data stored on Build io, Inc. You can read more about these technological and operational measures in our security page. Because Build io, Inc does not know what data you upload via the service, it is your responsibility to ensure that those technological and operational measures are appropriate for the categories of data that you are uploading.